I am considering being a surrogate mother. Will I get a chance to keep the baby after the birth?


In principle you are bound to hand over the baby after the birth, according to the surrogacy agreement you sign. You are not entitled to change your mind without court permission. If, for example, after the birth you do not want to hand over the baby, you must file your objection to court and ask for permission to retain the child. The court will then appoint a welfare officer to make a report and decide if there are new circumstances that justify you retaining the child. You have a window of opportunity up until the court awards the intended parents a parental order.