An old friend of mine who immigrated to Israel from the U.S.A. appointed me as executor of her will. She owned an apartment in Israel, had savings in the bank, and died in Israel recently. I live in the States, barely know Hebrew, and don’t feel equipped to deal with all this, although she trusted me, and wanted me to handle things. Can I appoint a lawyer in Israel to act instead?


Yes. You can appoint a lawyer to represent you  and to make the application for probate (an order enforcing the will) in Israel and can also  inform the court that you are unable to take on the

role of executor of the estate and request that it appoint a professional e.g. a lawyer, to do so instead.