I got married in Israel and then we did another civil marriage in the US. We have since gotten divorced in Israel and the get has been given. Do I need to do anything in the US or are we automatically divorced there too?

Your Israeli divorce is not automatically recognized or recorded in the U.S.A - you need to make sure this is done in the U.S.A , too. For this you will need Apostilled documents relating to the divorce at the Rabbinical Court and a certified translation. If the translation is performed in Israel, it should be a notarized translation, with apostille certification, for use outside Israel.


Unless your Israeli divorce is recognized and registered in the U.S.A , you will be officially divorced in Israel but still married in the U.S.A., and have what is known as a "limping marriage". In this situation you cannot marry anywhere,legally.