I am a widower in a serious relationship and am considering cohabiting with my lady friend or even marrying her . If I do what steps are generally recommended to protect children from a first marriage, financially, and also grandchildren?

The two legal steps that are generally recommended in such circumstances are a property relations agreement, whether you marry or cohabit, and an updated  will.