I am an Israeli citizen (a new immigrant) and my foreign girlfriend , a student in Israel, has just given birth to our baby, but the Ministry of Interior refuses to register our child in my I.D. Card saying that as we were not married or living together we need a court order before they will register him as the father. What should we do?

Apply to the family court for an order for genetic testing to prove paternity. In Israel a court order is necessary to undergo genetic testing and only certain hospitals are allowed to carry out the testing which involves examining D.N.A. from the mother, the baby and the alleged father. If the results are positive and show you are the father, then the court can order the Ministry of Interior to register your paternity and include your child in your identity card and give him an I.D. number of his own. Our law practice handles such applications.